Sunday, December 14, 2008

Walnut Stuffing

This is the recipe I use at Thanksgiving every year (well, one of them anyway). I have to make 2 different types of stuffing, because part of my household doesn't eat mushrooms, onions or peppers.

Walnut Stuffing

2 cans of Chicken Broth
1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
2 boxes (6 oz each) Turkey flavored stuffing
(any flavored, your favorite flavor, just get the flavored, not the plain stuffing)
2 cups of English Walnuts chopped
(but please don't mince these down to crumbs, just a little bit of chopping will do well in leaving them chunky for a nice crunch when you bite into the stuffing)
2 small cans Mushrooms chopped (Optional)
1/2 Large Onion chopped
1/2 of a large Bell Pepper finely chopped

(Now, another note here on the onions and peppers. You can use the whole thing if you want to. I do this because I admit to having a Jalepeno' induced ulcer and I just have to go easy on myself around the holidays)

Preheat oven to 350.

Well, by gathering and preparing all of the above ingredients, you've pretty much covered the hard work involved in this recipe.

Now, pour the broth and the butter into the pot and heat it over medium high heat until it's boiling and the butter has melted. In the large mixing bowl put all the other ingredients together and mix them up really well. I use my hands, simply because they're the best kitchen tools we have :)

Once your broth and butter mixture is boiling, remove from heat and add all the dry ingredients from the mixing bowl. Mix this well until everything is moistened by the broth. Pour into buttered pan or casserole dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 about 20 minutes, remove foil, bake another 10 minutes or so or until golden brown on top.

No comments: